View Mobile Site
Text Size: Smaller Larger Normal

Shot suspect released from hospital; booked for assault

60463a.jpg

Shot suspect released from hospital; booked for assault


POSTED February 5, 2013 5:09 p.m.
Share on Facebook Bookmark and Share
Samuel Tome Matos, the mentally disturbed man shot by Ceres police during a Monday evening altercation, was released from the hospital late Tuesday and booked on two felony counts of assault with a deadly weapon on peace officers.

Ceres Police Sgt. Jose Berber released the identities of the two Ceres officers who were involved in the call that led to the shooting of Matos, 33, in the 2400 block of Pine Ridge Drive. Officers Steve Carvalho and Lorenzo Beltran fired their duty side arms at Matos after he allegedly charged at them with a machete.

Both officers were placed on paid administrative leave after the shooting, which is standard practice for officers involved in critical incidents. Beltran is a five-year veteran with the Ceres Police Department. Carvalho is a 13-year veteran with the Ceres Police Department.

Police gave a more thorough explanation of what happened when they showed up at Matos' parents' residence where he was living. At 7:46 p.m., the man's parents called 911 to check on their son's welfare after sharing concerns about his strange behavior. They told police that Samuel had made threatening comments to his mother earlier in the day and that he may have purchased a handgun.

Officers were allowed inside the home and began to interact with Matos. He became enraged and retrieved a machete and refused to comply with orders to put it down. He then violently charged and swung the machete towards the officers, said Sgt. Berber.

Officer Carvalho, armed with a 12 gauge "less than lethal" long range bean bag shotgun, fired five rounds to stop his wild swings but had little effect. Carvalho then pulled his duty side arm as did Beltran. Matos was struck once in the arm.

Matos then retreated to a bedroom and refused to come out and surrender. Fearing that Matos may have had access to a gun in the room, officers began negotiating with Matos to surrender after surrounding neighbors were evacuated from their homes. Officers elected to enter the bedroom to seize Matos. Matos was reportedly still holding the machete despite suffering from the shot.

After his apprehension, officers tended to the wound until paramedics arrived. Matos was immediately transported to a local hospital in Modesto for treatment of the non-life-threatening wound. He was admitted for observation.

Detectives waited at the home until a judge signed a search warrant allowing investigators to collect evidence. Investigators collected evidence that corroborates officers' statements that Matos was armed with a machete.

Ceres Investigators are asking anyone with any information in reference to this case to contact Detective Derek Perry at (209) 538-5131.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.
Advertising Widget
468x60
 

Please wait ...