Hughson and Keyes students didn’t claim the top positions at Stanislaus County Elementary Spelling Championship held on Oct. 30 but a number did earn a gold medal.
The event was held at Enochs High School in Modesto. Chris Dempsey, an educator at La Loma Junior High School served as the Spelling Master and 40 volunteers served as proctors. A total of 77 students from 48 schools participated.
The champions of the spelling bee were Mansa Awyah, a sixth-grader from Our Lady of Fatima; and Luna Salvador, a sixth-grader at Walnut Elementary School. Lakewood fifth-grader Deetya Thogarucheeti was the alternate winner with an honorable mention. Awuah and Salvador will represent Stanislaus County at the State Championship at San Joaquin Office of Education, Stockton, on May 9, 2020. Thogarucheeti will serve as an alternate and will go to the State Championship if Mansa or Luna is unable to attend.
Some words the champions spelled correctly were: obsequious, rapscallion, turgescent and prestissimo.
Gold medalists included:
• Emily Musgrave, a Keyes Charter sixth-grader;
• Francisco Valadez, a Fox Road Elementary School fifth-grader;
• Reese Ahlem, a Keyes Charter fifth-grader;
• Chloe Chapman, a Keyes Elementary School fifth-grader;
• Akasha Morin, a Keyes Elementary School fifth-grader;
• Adriana Soares, a Fox Road Elementary School fifth-grader.