By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Local jailed three times in six days
Ceres Cop Car

Joseph Ray Campbell, 33, of Modesto, found a revolving door at the Stanislaus County Public Safety Center when he was arrested in Ceres three separate times within six days.

The first arrest occurred at 9:24 p.m. on Jan. 30 when someone called 9-1-1 about Campbell being disorderly, yelling and vandalizing garbage cans at Roeding Heights Park. Campbell was at the south end of the park and tried to run when he saw Officer Matthew Berlier approaching but was finally overtaken. Campbell was arrested for resisting arrest and vandalism and booked into the Stanislaus County Public Safety Center.

The next day, at 6:14 p.m. Officer Eric Souza was dispatched to 3230 Mitchell Road for a person who broke a window of Edward E. Campbell Real Estate and stole an office chair before fleeing northbound over a wall into a vacant lot. Prior to the vandalism and theft, Campbell was seen hanging around out front and acting bizarre and hitting objects with a large stick.

Officer Randy Moore found Campbell acting oddly behind the Save Mart supermarket and watched him knock over a large stack of crates. Campbell then ran east across Mitchell Road where he was arrested by Officer Jesus Salinas. Campbell admitted to breaking the window and stealing the chair which he left in the rear lot of the post office. He was arrested and booked on charges of felony burglary and vandalism.

Campbell's third arrest came during a 5:25 a.m. commercial burglar alarm at Liquor King, 3240 Mitchell Road, on Sunday. Officer Coey Henson arrived and saw items scattered around the parking lot including a newspaper stand and cardboard boxes. Campbell was talking erratically, had no shirt on and his pants were pulled down to his ankles. When the business owner arrived and parked in front of his business, Campbell quickly walked over to him with Henson commanding for the suspect to get on the ground. He complied but when Officer Henson tried to handcuff him, Campbell resisted and began fighting by rolling over and taking a defensive fighting position while yelling obscenities. Officer Henson believed Campbell was high on drugs and deployed Dex, his canine partner, to subdue him. Campbell continued to fight the dog even after sustaining bites to the forearm. Additional officers were able to get Campbell into custody.

Paramedics were called to treated Campbell's bite wounds. He told police he had smoked methamphetamine prior and admitted trying to break into the liquor store to steal Vodka. After he was treated at Doctors Medical Center, Campbell was back at jail, this time booked for attempted burglary and resisting arrest.