By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Man arrested for failing to turn down music
Placeholder Image

Omero Macias, 37, of Ceres, was arrested Saturday morning after he defied police orders to turn down his music three times through the evening.

Neighbors of Macias in the 3400 block of Waynesboro Drive called police at 11:28 p.m. on Friday over the loud music. Officers warned Macias that he could be issued a citation if they were called out again.

The music grew louder again and at 11:51 p.m. police were called a second time and Macias was given administered a $100 fine and cited. The music was turned down but went back up as soon as police left. At 12:22 a.m. police were called back. Macias was issued a second citation and warned again but expressed that he didn't care.

This time the officer walked back to his patrol car and waited to see what would happen. The music was turned up loud again so Macias was arrested for disturbing the peace.

Police also were involved in these cases in the past week:

• LARGE MAN FIGHTS POLICE - The brawn of four officers was required to subdue and arrest a man who was lurking behind a Ceres business who was allegedly under the influence of methamphetamine.

At 1:20 a.m. Saturday morning police spotted a large man who was hiding in an area between the closed Jenny's Family Dining and Denny's in the 1500 block of Herndon Road.

When officers went to confront the man, who was judged to be 6-foot-5 and 290 pounds, the fight was on. At one point two officers were lying atop of him to get control but he was lifting both as he fought them.

The suspect was finally handcuffed when a third and fourth officer joined in the scuffle.

Because the man, a transient from Santa Clara, had an elevated heartbeat, he was taken to the hospital. A complaint was forwarded to the District Attorney's office for a possible resisting arrest charge.

His name was withheld by police.

• SHOPLIFTER GETS AWAY - A woman made off with about $50 in merchandise from the Factory 2 You store on Hatch Road on Saturday afternoon but police are hoping to get more clues from the public.

At 4:06 p.m. the store called police to report the thief, estimated to be 30 to 40 years old, who was confronted by the store's loss prevention officer. As the woman left the store with the officer in tow, a white man came out of a vehicle and told him to back off. The couple got into a U-Haul with Arizona license plates to leave the scene but backed into a parked 2002 Chrysler PT.

The store took down the plate number but it may have been incorrect since the company stated the plate should be on a vehicle rented to Massachusetts.

Anyone with information on the vehicle or suspects is urged to call Officer Jeremy Caron 538-5713.

• CONSTRUCTION SITE RIPPED OFF - Power tools and air compressors were stolen from a school construction site on Mitchell Road on Friday.

The crime occurred just south of the Ceres Post Office in the 3100 block of Mitchell Road where the Stanislaus County Office of Education is building an alternative school.

Thieves broke into the yard with a cutting torch to cut into metal storage boxes sometime between Thursday evening and Friday morning. Police said that the burglars even moved tractors out of the way to get to air compressors and power tools.

Police believe that the thieves may have fled through the western property boundary that connects to Stanford Avenue.

• STOLEN U-HAUL TRUCK RECOVERED - Ceres police assisted Sheriff's deputies in a pursuit of a stolen U-Haul truck on Sunday. The vehicle was recovered but the driver got away.

The chase started at 1:02 p.m. on South Ninth Street but the California Highway Patrol lost sight of it in the area of Avon Street and River Road. A Ceres officer spotted it in the CVS parking lot on Hatch Road and a second chased was on back into Modesto.

The CHP joined in the pursuit which involved Ceres police until Coffee Road where the pursuit was terminated because of safety concerns since the thief was driving at speeds of up to 80 mph in residential areas.

As the Ceres officer made his way back to Ceres he was flagged down by a person at Ninth and H streets in Modesto by someone who reported a U-Haul being abandoned as the driver fled. Witnesses said the driver was a white male in his 30s, who stood about 5-foot-8, brown hair hair, and wearing a goatee, mustache, tattoos on both arms, a black T-shirt with cut off arms and a black hat.

The U-Haul had been stolen in Modesto.

• STABBING AT CRASH SCENE - An 18-year-old passenger had sustained non-life-threatening stab wounds after the car he was riding in had been caused to crash into a tree on Sunday.

Ceres Police said that a traffic collision occurred at 10:37 p.m. in the area of Whitmore Avenue and Crowslanding Road. There were reports of shots being fired and a stabbing associated with the crash.

Police arrived and learned from the driver that he was driving when two vehicles - a four-door Honda Accord and a grey Jeep Excursion - followed them and caused them to run into a tree. The occupants of the other car were reported to be young Latino males identified as "northerners."

• POLICE HELP ARREST CHP CHASE SUSPECT - Tyson, a Ceres police canine and handler Louis Amador helped flush a man who had been chased into Ceres by the California Highway Patrol on Monday afternoon.

The CHP chase ended in the 1600 block of Vandalay Drive in Eastgate at 2:40 p.m. when the suspect escaped into the neighborhood. A perimeter was set up in the area by Ceres police.

Moments later a homeowner reported that a side garage door was unlocked when it should have been locked. Amador called into the garage and announced that he was going to unleash his dog and that's when the suspect came out and surrendered.

The name of the suspect was not available as of press time.

• DRIVER ARRESTED - A woman was jailed on Monday afternoon for breaking several laws relating to driving and after she refused to sign her citation after an officer spent 20 minutes trying to get her to do just that.

At 3:50 p.m., Rosaelvia Hernandez, 42, was pulled over for an auto registration that expired 18 months ago. The officer learned that Hernandez had a suspended driver's license and had no auto insurance.

The vehicle was towed and Hernandez was booked for driving on a suspended license, driving without insurance, driving with expired tags and failure to sign a citation.