A number of citizens and business owners will be receiving awards at the Ceres Chamber of Commerce's 46th Annual Community Service Awards & Installation Dinner. The event will start at 6 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 30 at the Ceres Community Center, 2701 Fourth Street.
Since 1968, the Chamber has recognized local residents and business owners who have made extraordinary contributions in community service.
The banquet will also include the installation of new Chamber officers in Ameet Birring, Nathan Dabulewicz and Joe Wren.
The nominees of the "Citizen of the Year: Lifetime Achievement" award are being kept secret with the winner being selected only by past honorees. However, the list of other award nominees has been announced and Chamber members are being asked to vote by ballot online at cereschamber.com/awards.html or by mail-in ballots. Ballots were mailed out Friday, Jan. 9 and must be returned by Jan. 21.
Throughout December, the Chamber received nominations in eight categories and the nominees are:
• Distinguished Service: Linda Mathis, manager of the Ceres Youth Baseball Snack Shack; and Troy Slaybaugh for graffiti clean-up efforts.
• "Volunteer of the Year" - Jim and Colleen Bergamashi of the Ceres Garden Club; Rocky Fisher of the Ceres Lions Club; Shane Parson of the Ceres Partnership for Healthy Children; and James Runyan of the Ceres Lions Club.
• "Business of the Year" - Richland Ace Hardware, Ceres Karate, Farmer Boys restaurant and Supermom's Frozen Yogurt.
• "Downtown Business of the Year"- Ceres Drug Store, Ceres Dry Cleaners, Delhart's Furniture and Steps Dance Studio.
• "Legacy Award," which honors individuals and/or businesses that have contributed through service, support or volunteer efforts to the Ceres community for more than 40 years - Alfonso's Mexican Grill, Bronco Wine Company, Stanislaus Farm Supply and Superior Fruit Ranch.
• "Service Club of the Year" - Ceres Garden Club, Ceres High School's ASB Leadership, Ceres Partnership for Healthy Children, Ceres Masonic Center, Howard Training Center, Love Ceres, Project YES and Soroptimist International of Ceres.
Tickets for the banquet are $35 per person or $300 for a table of eight, which includes complimentary wine. Gold sponsorships are also sought for the event and include a table for eight, complimentary wine, two free drink tickets per person, recognition on the Chamber's website and the event program, emcee recognition and a table sign. Tickets may be purchased online at CeresAwardsDinner.Eventbrite.com, by phone at 537-2601 or at the Chamber office at 2938-A Fourth Street.