Sprinkles greeted the 10 a.m. ceremony on Saturday to formally unveil the Clampers monument at the Daniel Whitmore Home, Ceres' oldest residence.
Manteca resident Gordon Whitmore, a great-grandson of Daniel Whitmore himself attended with his wife Irene, and their daughter Marty Whitmore Sawyer. Also attending was Marty's son, Daniel Sawyer, who was named after his forefather and founder of Ceres.
The monument stands 64 inches tall and is covered with a stone overlay of gold quartzite and includes a brief history of Ceres and the home. The plaque is a polished black face with white letters engraved.
The plaque reads: "The Daniel Whitmore House. This house was built by town founder, Daniel Whitmore, in 1870 and is the oldest house in Ceres. Daniel and his wife Lucy Jane Whitmore, sons Clinton and Leonard, came by wagon train from Michigan in 1854 landing near Stockton where son Eugene was born. In 1867 Daniel and his family moved from Stockton to property near the Tuolumne River. In 1870 he build this home on property he did not yet own. Daniel Whitmore purchased almost 10,000 acres of land from Levi Carter in 1872 for the sum of $9,000. Wheat was the crop of choice as irrigation had not yet been implemented. Being a devoute (sic) Baptist, Daniel sold parcels increase the local population. These deeds all contained a clause forbidding the use, sale, or manufacture of intoxicating beverages. The property would revert back to the Whitmore family should this clause be violated. The name Ceres was chosen in 1871 by Elma J. Carter, daughter of Levi Carter, originally for her granary warehouse which stood along the new railroad. Daniel Whitmore had his own mill and warehouse which operated two years before burning to the ground in 1882. The home stayed in the Whitmore family until 1936 when it was purchased by the Eskew family. The city of Ceres acquired the property in 1987 marking the beginning of a complete restoration with the help of service organizations, fund raisers and many hours of donated time and materials. City of Ceres - Ceres Historical Society - Together We Achieve. Estanislao Chapter 58 of E Clampus Vitus."
The monument was placed 13 feet back from the white picket fence and to the north of the driveway. The monument plaque bears the Ceres Historical Society and City of Ceres logos.
The event was funded by E Clampus Vitus, a local fraternal organization whose members preserve history by erecting historical monuments and are known for wearing red shirts and enjoyment of drinking. Brian Mautino, the group's Grand Noble Humbug, attended along with about 20 other Clampers. Members of the Ceres Historical Society, which operates the Ceres Museum on the property, also turned out of the event.
Gordon Whitmore was one of the sons of Charles N. Whitmore, who was a child of Clinton N. Whitmore. Clinton Whitmore was a son of Ceres town founder Daniel Whitmore.
Charles Whitmore died in 1980 at the age of 84. In the 1920s he was superintendent of the Whitmore ranches, which at one time covered more than 10,000 acres. Charles also served on the Ceres and Stanislaus County boards of education.
A number of people confuse the Daniel Whitmore Home and the Clinton Whitmore Mansion. The city owns both structures, which both appear on Fifth Street a block from each other. The Clinton Whitmore Mansion dates back to 1903 and is considerably larger than the first home.