By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire damages Richard Way home
Placeholder Image

An early Friday morning fire caused an estimated $150,000 to the house at 1832 Richard Way in Ceres.

Ceres Fire Battalion Chief Mike Lillie said the fire, which was reported at 1231 a.m., completely gutted the garage and a small detached living structure behind the garage. He estimated the building as being 10 feet by 12 feet. The fire also burned into the attic and caused extensive damage in the attic over the entire house.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.

Lillie said the fire was "well involved" by the time the first units arrived and that all the occupants had quickly made it to safety outside. Initial reports indicated that people were trapped inside. Some were outside trying to put out the flames with a garden hose.

The two-alarm fire drew 23 firefighters from Ceres, Modesto and Stanislaus Consolidated fire departments working with six engines and one fire truck. The fire was knocked down within 28 minutes, said Lillie.

One Ceres firefighter sustained shoulder injuries when a portion of the ceiling fell on him. The injury was quickly treated and he was released and reported to work for his Friday shift.

Four adults and four children living on the property were displaced and housed by the American Red Cross. Their pets were taken in by the Animal Shelter.