Stanislaus County health inspectors have closed the Teriyaki King restaurant at 1600 Hatch Road in Ceres after a complaint and confirmation of cockroaches.
The county's Department of Environmental Resources posted on its website a food facility inspection notice that details that numerous live cockroaches were found throughout the building, including drywall panels, near the front counter, in the kitchen and the ware washing area.
A complaint was filed on Tuesday after a mother refilled her three-year-old's soda cup and saw a cockroach in the bottom after removing the lid. A man who identified himself only as Eric, whose wife made the discovery, said he was furious over the incident and likely would not do business there again.
A county inspector visited the facility at 12:48 p.m. on Wednesday in response to the complaint filed the prior morning. The restaurant was shut down Wednesday, according to the website, "until the cockroach issue is resolved."
In order to reopen, the county is requiring the management to provide a plan to control the pests, reinstall the damaged wall panel, seal all cracks and gaps on the wall and ceiling, and containers provided for all opened dry food.
According to Wikipedia.com, cockroaches are one of the most commonly noted household pest insects that feed on human and pet food and can leave an offensive odor. They can also passively transport microbes on their body surfaces including those that are potentially dangerous to humans. Cockroaches are linked with allergic reactions in humans. One of the proteins that triggers allergic reactions is tropomyosin. These allergens are also linked with asthma.