By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Robbery results in CHS lockdown
Ceres High School was placed on lockdown Thursday afternoon while Ceres police scoured surrounding neighborhoods for three men who robbed the Recycling Center near La Sequoia Market on Central Avenue.

"The kids were not in danger at any time," Deputy Police Chief Mike Borges said.

The robbery took place at 11:02 a.m.

According to witnesses, three Hispanic males between the ages of 20-22 fled down a nearby alley after assaulting and robbing the Recycling Center operator.

The victim was punched several times in face while one of the suspects pointed a sawed-off shotgun at him.

The assailants made off with his cell phone and an undisclosed amount of money.

"We set up a perimeter around the area, did a search with our canines and were unable to locate anybody," Borges said. "We lost track."

The three suspects were last seen running towards the Ceres Farm Labor Camp. One of the suspects had a California tattoo on his arm.

Ceres police were stationed near the entrance of the neighborhood at Glenda Way for close to an hour.

"They backtracked into the Labor Camp," Borges said. "We were checking vehicles as they were leaving."

The searched ended at 12:05 p.m. More than 10 Ceres police officers participated.

"We're still doing the investigation," Borges said. "We're following up on some interviews."

Ceres High was locked down from 11:15-11:50 a.m. Students were not allowed to leave campus during lunchtime.

The victim declined medical treatment and continued to work. The attack left him with a scrape on his nose and a sore jaw. The employee declined to give his name and a step-by-step account of events.

"I don't want them to come back and shoot me," he said.

A regular customer at the Recycling Center was frustrated by what transpired.

"I got here an hour later," he said. "They beat him up and took his belongings. That's chicken s---."