By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Neighbor of sobriety house fed up with problems

Editor, Ceres Courier,

What do you do when a business that purports to be a sober living home for drug/alcohol individuals in recovery moves into the property next door to you? You have to listen to constant group meetings, their loud and sometimes profane conversations; you are exposed to their chain smoking and the removal (theft) of items from your property. They are belligerent when you try to talk with them. They see you as the problem because you have a different point of view. You've called the police numerous times and made reports of incidents. One of the officers suggests that you put a video security system so you do that. You are concerned about the effects of second-hand smoke because you are downwind, and they are constantly smoking, even during the early morning hours (2, 3, 4 a.m.) when they are up and about.

Your neighborhood has young families, a church, and a nearby elementary school - it should be full of families. You have appealed to the city, and they tell you that they can do nothing because the group comes under the individuals with "disability" act. So does that mean they are compensated for their disability? Are the property and its individuals being monitored? Are ADA requirements being met?

Other cities around the state and nation have set regulations for such groups.

Why can't ours do this too?

What do you do?

H.R. Barrera, Ph.D,

LETTERS POLICY: Letters to the editor will be considered for publication but must be signed and include an address and phone number. Letters should contain 250 words or less and be void of libelous statements. Letters may be sent to The Ceres Courier, 138 S. Center Street, Turlock CA 95380 or emailed to