Editor, Ceres Courier,
Let me just say right up front that I don't think that any one's pet should ever be poisoned for any reason. Although, I can't tell you how irritating it is to walk out my front door and smell cat urine on all the plants surrounding the front porch of my home and I don't even own a cat.
I do own a dog and my dog is not allowed to walk a foot off my property without being on a leash. If I take my dog on a walk or to the park I always carry a plastic bag to pick up after it. I think that some people are just getting fed up with someone else's pet using their yard for a litter box. It seems the best way to keep your pet out of harm's way would be to keep it confined to your own property.
If you are one of those people who let your cat roam freely through the neighborhood, maybe you should consider that next time before you open the door and let your cat run loose.