By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Comeback falls short
Placeholder Image
In desperate need of a spark, Central Valley High School varsity boys basketball head coach Darryl Dickson turned to his reserve players midway through the first quarter.

Led by Edward Martinez, Ryan Sandner and Hector Jacobo, the Hawks rallied but saw their comeback attempt fall short in a 71-67 loss to Patterson in Western Athletic Conference play Wednesday night in Ceres.

Martinez scored a career-high 16 points, Sandner had 11 and Hector Jacobo added seven off the bench.

"Our second group did real good," said senior forward David Griffin, who along with Miguel Rodriguez, Jamal Wessinger, Camron Thornton and Nate Villegas, was benched for an extended period of time. "They kept us in the game."

Central Valley underestimated Patterson.

The Hawks won the first meeting, 50-32, on Jan. 7.

"We (the starters) just didn't come out ready to play," Griffin said. "We weren't there mentally. We didn't have too good of a practice."

"It's a reoccurring theme with this group," Dickson said. "I blame the seniors. They're not hungry. They're not playing with passion."

Griffin, Rodriguez, Thornton, Wessinger and Villegas were pulled midway through the first quarter. They didn't return until the third quarter.

Martinez, Sandner and Jacobo scored a combined 34 points in the middle periods.

Edward made four 3-pointers, and Sandner hit three triples as the Hawks rallied from a double-digit deficit.

"He (Martinez) earned a starting spot tonight," Dickson said. "He played aggressively. That's what we've been waiting for."

Central Valley trailed by just one point, 50-49, at the end of the third quarter.

Patterson increased its lead to seven with a 6-0 run early in the fourth quarter.

A 10-3 run helped the Hawks cut the deficit to 69-67 with 24 seconds left in regulation.

Griffin scored seven straight points. He tallied 12 of his game-high 18 points in the final eight minutes.

Wessinger's 3-pointer closed gap to two.

Jamal's potential, game-tying 3 from the left wing fell short with 4 seconds to play.

Patterson's Jewan Jackson (16 points) secured the victory after being intentionally fouled. He made the second of two free throws.

Tiger teammates Drake Vatuvei (14 points) and Skylar Job (10 points) also scored in double figures against the Hawks.

Central Valley and Patterson buried 21 3-pointers during the game, including 11 by Central Valley.

"We didn't defend the perimeter," Dickson said. "We didn't execute our game plan."

The Tigers improved to 11-12 on the year and 2-4 in the WAC standings.

The Hawks dropped to 10-14 and 2-5.

"Can you cuss in your paper?" Darryl asked before answering questions during the postgame interview. "We should have won. I'm tired of saying that."

Patterson 68, CV 40

Central Valley High School's frosh-soph boys basketball team had trouble keeping up with Patterson following a competitive first quarter.

The Tigers raced past the Hawks, 68-40, in Western Athletic Conference play on Wednesday in Ceres.

"Our effort dropped after we fell behind," Central Valley head coach Mike Rodriguez said. "The kids let it get out of hand."

Diego Sanchez scored a team-high 16 points for the Hawks, who dropped to 1-7 in the WAC standings. Hawk Duarte, Caselli Richardson, Sabas Diaz and Daniel Alvarez chipped in with 11, seven, four and two points, respectively.

"He (Diego) was pretty much the bright spot," Rodriguez said.

The Hawks trailed by just one point, 17-16, heading into the second quarter.

Central Valley committed the bulk of its 20-plus turnovers during the final three quarters. The Hawks were outscored 51-24.

"We took really good care of the ball against their pressure in the first quarter," Rodriguez said. "The second quarter, we got away from that. We started playing sloppy and they capitalized on our turnovers. They beat us back in transition and we're able to get easy layups."

Patterson beat Central Valley by 17 points when the two teams faced off on Jan. 7. The Hawks trailed by just three points at halftime.