By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
CVHS grad Mike Tubera suffers first loss in Mixed Martial Arts
Placeholder Image

Central Valley High School grad Mike Tubera suffered his first loss of his Mixed Martial Arts career on Aug. 24.

Martin Davila won the vacant California Amateur MMA Organization (CAMO) 125-pound flyweight title with a first-round submission victory over Tubera on the Griggs Entertainment Beatdown on the Beach card at the Junior Seau Oceanside Pier Plaza Amphitheatre.

"He had a better game plan and executed it," Tubera said. "I'll bounce back."

Davila, who also holds the Xplode Amateur Fight Series 125-pound belt, won by the same fashion in May and February.

"I don't think the ref should have stopped it," said Tubera, whose record dropped to 3-1-1. "I didn't tap. I had plenty of wiggle room. If I had the opportunity, I would have got out of it."

Tubera escaped multiple arm-bar attempts by Davila (5-1) before the championship bout was stopped at the 1:50 mark of the first round.

"I went for a takedown and he pulled guard," Tubera said. "He baited me into it. I got out of it three times. I would have tapped if I needed to. It was a short, quick call. It happened so fast. I was shocked. I didn't expect him to want to go to the ground. I expected a boxing match."

Mike was the aggressor early in the fight.

"I landed a lot of blows," Tubera said. "I saw blood and went after it. I got too excited. I jumped the gun."

Mike admitted he was nervous before the fight.

Tubera was looking to win his first title-in Davila's backyard. Martin lives in Oceanside.

"He had a lot of fan support," Tubera said. "I was confident. It (butterflies) went away when I got in there."

Mike plans to fight in September and October.

"My arm's fine," he said. "They did an evaluation afterwards. I'm going to take a week off. I got a couple of fights lined up. I need to work more on Jujitsu defense. I'm still figuring my own game out."