By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Hawks post sixth shutout in league play
Central Valley High School's varsity boys soccer team moved a step closer to assuring itself a top-two finish in the Valley Oak League and Sac-Joaquin Section playoff berth with Thursday's 3-0 blanking of visiting Sierra.

"The kids worked really hard," Hawks head coach Omar Leon said.

Second-place Central Valley (9-1-1) earned three points for the victory and increased its season total to 28. Though highly unlikely, it's mathematically possible for third-place East Union (20 points) to catch the Hawks in the conference standings.

Sierra dropped to 1-9-1 on the year.

Billy Chantavong, Antonio Cabrera and Daniel Ochoa all scored once for Central Valley, which posted its sixth shutout in league.

Miguel Villasenor picked up an assist.

Victor Mercado tallied six saves.

Hawks lose by forfeit

Central Valley defeated Sonora 3-1 on Tuesday, Oct. 21 in Ceres. The Hawks had to forfeit the win for using an ineligible player.

"There was an issue and we had to resolve it," principal Roberto Serrato said.

JV Bulldogs tie

Cesar Hurtado scored on a penalty kick in the 77th minute to help Ceres High's frosh-soph boys soccer team salvage a 3-3 tie at Oakdale last Thursday.

"It's frustrating," Bulldogs head coach Dominic Figueroa said. "That's a team we should definitely beat. The guys thought it was going to be a cakewalk and it wasn't. Oakdale worked really, really hard."

The draw served as redemption for the Mustangs, who lost 6-2 to the Bulldogs earlier this season.

Second-place Ceres High improved to 15-3-2 overall and 9-2-1 in the VOL standings.

Fifth-place Oakdale moved to 5-6-1 in conference play.

"Everyone comes out gunning for us because we're at the top of the standings," Figueroa said.

Omar Hernandez and Alex Reyes also scored for the Bulldogs.

Goalkeeper Pedro Torres had five saves.

The Bulldogs and Mustangs battled to a 2-2 tie in the first half.

Ceres High was awarded a penalty kick with seven minutes remaining after an Oakdale handball in box.