A home at 2937 Sixth Street in Ceres sustained an estimated $50,000 in damage from a Saturday, Dec. 27 fire.
The fire broke out at 9:59 a.m. and was reported by two parties within the same house. The Ceres Fire Department was on scene within two minutes and flames and smoke were shooting out of a broken kitchen window. All the occupants made it out safely.
The kitchen was burned and significant smoke and heat damage was caused to the living room and one bedroom. Fire Battalion Chief Mike Lillie said the fire was traced to an appliance on the kitchen counter, possibly a short in the plug.
The fire was battled with the help of 20 firefighters, five engines and one ladder truck.