Editor, Ceres Courier,
Measure S presently supports approximately 90 percent of the funding for the Stanislaus Library system, the main library in Modesto and 12 regional branches. The average resident pays approximately $18 a year to support the library. Local, county and state funding contribute about 10 percent of the county library funding.
If Measure S is not passed this is what our county will lose in services to its citizens:
• Story time for our preschoolers; their first experiences with literacy and books.
• Schools would not be able to visit and check out books.
• There will be no public access to the Internet or WIFI.
• No teen services would be available.
• No reference or resume help.
• No new books, e-books or books on CD would be purchased or circulated.
• There would not be an adult literacy tutoring program.
• Outreach to shut-ins and seniors would not be provided.
• Inter-library loans would not be available.
This is a partial list of the help and services that would be lost.
Possibly the most important reason to vote Yes on S is to keep alive the breadth of knowledge that is available to us all.
LETTERS POLICY: Letters to the editor will be considered for publication but must be signed and include an address and phone number. Letters should be 250 words or less and be void of libel. Send to The Ceres Courier, 138 S. Center Street, Turlock CA 95380 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.