By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Letters to the editor published Feb. 2, 2011
Placeholder Image
Mislabeling no man's land is very confusing

Editor, Ceres Courier,

I've just finished reading your article concerning the address changes needed in the section known as "no man's land." I've lived here (north of Hatch Road) for over 25 years; I can't tell you how much confusion it has caused having an address that doesn't match my actual residence. When I give out my address, I always have to clarify that I don't live in Modesto but in Ceres. This causes problems with businesses, family, friends, etc,. as mail will sometimes be mailed to a Ceres address rather than Modesto.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would rather cling to the 95351 zip, when that zip encompasses west Modesto and south Modesto - two areas I would never live in.

We've had two mail-in elections from the post office in that time and both times it was not passed. You are right when you said Mr. Cardoza should do something about this. Why can't they have volunteers canvass their neighborhoods, door to door, educating these people?

The excuses used about address changes on business, checks, etc., is so moronic (it all can be changed free within a year). I truly am embarrassed to live here.

Sadly, I don't think it will be changed in my life time (and I'm only in my 50's ). There's too much ignorance concerning this. It will be easier to move and find a town not so mired down with stupidity (especially after reading the article about over-hauling the down town area taking 20 to 30 years? It should have been undertaken 20 years ago.

Carole Caracol,

Ceres (or Modesto)

* * * * * *


Letters to the editor will be considered for publication but must be signed with the author's name, address and telephone number. Letters should contain 250 words or less and be void of libelous statements. Letters may be sent to The Ceres Courier, P.O. Box 7, Ceres, CA 95307, or emailed to